26/07/2023

The oldest post on this blog yet - Edison Format

 Hello to the exactly 0 people who are still reading YGO blogs, much less the one blog that has been dead for 10 years now. (Also, how did it get to 126k views? 😱😱😱)

YGO is a drug, there's no denying that. I've been in and out of the game for years, but I definitely gave up on modern YGO something around 3 or 4 years ago. Since then, all the time I relapsed back into YGO were for Goat format, or the occasional DS/GBA game run. I even played through the entire Forbidden Memories game, if that says anything...

As you could guess from the title, this post is about my latest relapse into YGO. Edison format is the format played at YCS Edison in 2010, and has recently seen a revival, with a great community and a lot of focus on the competitive aspect, which is something I eventually came to like better than just playing any random for fun deck that came across my hands. If you want to know more about Edison format, the main resource for pretty much everything is edisonformat.com.

After playing too many different decks for too little time each, I found a couple of decks that I really like and that I want to hone. Namely, and in order:

  • Frog Monarch: a Monarch deck based on a frog engine for tributes;
  • Quickdraw Dandywarrior (QDDW): a deck which is VERY good at generating advantage with Drill Warrior;
  • Jinzo OTK: an OTK deck using Future Fusion to send Jinzo and Jinzo - Returners to the grave to summon back Jinzos and Machina Fortress to push for game;
  • Flamvell: Flamvell Firedog + Flamvell Magician is a small engine able to pump out LV8 synchros and to have a lot of reversal opportunities thanks to Rekindling.

However, hopping across those decks, as well as other random stuff, is really not helping me figure out the best way to play a deck, and to actually get the satisfaction of properly playing a deck with as few mistakes as possible.

For this reason, I was thinking of doing deep dives into a specific deck by playing only that deck for a (relatively) long time frame, actually analyze my replays and actively try to get better and find a good deck build that works for me.

Since I'm analyzing replays, making tons of deckbuilding choices and so on, having a diary to write stuff on, for example a cringe-y blog made by teen me, could be really useful, so let's see if I can revive this blog for a little longer!

Next time: let's talk about Frog Monarch!


No comments:

Post a Comment