11/03/2014

Lo Shogun non Guerriero: Wildheart Garden


Monster: [9]
3x Carcar D
3x Elemental HERO Wildheart
3x Tenkabito Shien (not a warrior!)

Spells: [17]
3x Black Garden
2x E - Emergency Call
3x Mage Power
3x Pot of Duality
1x Reinforcement of the Army
2x Terraforming
3x Upstart (Hoban) Goblin

Traps: [14]
1x Bottomless Trap Hole
3x Compulsory Escape Device
1x Compulsory Evacuation Device
2x Dimensional Prison
2x Mirror Force
2x Needle Ceiling
2x Pollinosis
1x Torrential Tribute

Yeah, Tenkabito is not a Warrior. I would really want to know WHAT made Konami think in a person being clearly a soldier (edo era, maybe?), with a katana (I guess) on an horse that it wasn't a Warrior. Oh well, I just lost the second Target for RotA.

Let's get to deck, shall we?
The deck is, let me say it, a watered-down version of Chain Beat. I don't generally like decks which do exactly the same thing another one does, but worse, so I struggled to find something which made it somewhat better at least in some field, and I managed: the deck can actually use Torrential Tribute and Needle Ceiling, alongside Compulsory Escape Device better than Chain Beat, due to being totally unaffected by traps. Also, no chain, unless it has a spell in it, can kill us, which is one of the things I feared the most with Chain Beat (Compulsory Escape Device, chain my stuff, opponent then uses troll card). Although pretty forced, the deck can manage a better use of pollinosis, too, and can afford using Mage Power for incredble ATK boosts (Field Spell+5 S/Ts=3000 ATK boost on a 1500 body).
The deck isn't hard to play, instead, it's pretty easy, but differently from PACMAN or other decks like those, it doesn't plus (aside from opponent's -1s), so management resource is actually a problem. Shouldn't be if you manage it good.
Let's get to a couple of the main rules: (this being a control deck means it won't REALLY have power plays, they're more like something you should keep in mind and cards you could activate at given points)
-Manage your cards, don't, don't, don't waste them. I did a couple of time when I was in a pinch, but I lost the game. If you're not losing, don't waste resources. While you can take a risk if you're losing and that's the only way out, try to play your cards at the best.
-Search, then Draw, then PoD. Although not always like this, generally you should first activate Emergency, RotA and/or Terraforming, then go with Upstarts, if you have them, lastly PoDs. That's to increase the probaiblity of adding what you need with PoD. Cases in which you could disregard this are when (1) you necessarily need a bluff, which is actually believable in game two or (2) when you need boosts for Mage Power, in which case you would rather not search.
-Your monsters are important! That's one of the main flaws of the deck. For this one, protecting the monsters is way harder than with Chain Beat. Although I said way harder, it's still pretty easy, and we do play a lot of them (before adding Tenkabito, I used to play only Wildheart and CCD, this meant that when the third Wildheart was killed, I could have admitted defeat at any time, I think you can manage the game if one or two of your monsters are destroyed). Try not to reduce damage by setting a monster unless you really need the reduction.
-Smokescreen. IF you're playing a match, hiding your deck is a nice option from time to time. If you see your opponent is a dead bad Match-up (you'll learn them playing), you may want to try a smokescreen, unless your hand is really good. Fake a Masked HERO deck by searching Wildheart and setting only a couple of backrow (not, not, not Needle Ceiling, Pollinosis, or Escape Device). Don't use PoD, too.
-Two Monsters and Garden are all you need for a Needle Ceiling trigger. You'll be using this a lot. Although your opponent won't summon face-up most of the times while you have Garden, if he is going for a power play he'll HAVE to do that. That's the right time. If you can use Needle Ceiling without accounting for the Token, go ahead and activate it in chain to Black Garden's effect, so that you can kill monsters and keep a Token.
-Use CCD. Late game it usually is Torrential Fodder. After the first turn you won't really use CCD (I'll talk about this later), and it'll sit in your hand most of the times. Remember that it is valid Torrential Tribute fodder (but also remember to use it on the Token's summon, we wouldn't want to give the opponent a free token, would we?). Also, early game it draws Solemn Warning way and your opponent LPs while doing so. Being a magnet for Veiler is also nice (and, you won't believe me, many players never think about veilering your wildheart and using a trap on him during my turn). Believe me or not, it is also additional damage here and now, and fuels Needle Ceiling, expecially with Garden, when your field isn't awesome.
-Sometimes you may prefer not using Mage Powers on first turn. If you have a Wildheart and some traps to protect him and you went first, no point in activating Mage Power. Dark Hole which kills Wildheart AND resourcers is no good.

Something you may want to change:
I'd recommend you to try this build first, instead of just going into some fixes for your personal one (I wouldn't count that as netdecking, it's more like play-testing), after that, go ahead and think about the following cards:
You may want to remove CCD. No point in dropping it to two or one copies. If you play it, it is in three copies. It's much more useful early game than late, this means you would want as many copies as possible to draw it sooner, but if you come not to like it (I'm pretty undecided), feel free to drop it.
You may want to add Forbidden Dress. Forbidden Dress is actually amazing, but I just personally don't like it. It's more protection against spells and monsters, a 600 ATK drop on your opponent (1200 under Garden). I'm pretty biased because I tried this in the garden-less build, most likely has way more potential in the garden build. I'll try it again.
You may want to add Fiendish Chain. Fiendish Chain was actually in the original decklist, but I dropped them for slots. Wouldn't recommend this if you choose to play Forbidden Dress.
You may want to remove Pollinosis. As good as the card can be, it has one flaw, tributing the monster, and your opponent will try to give you as few tokens as possible. I'd recommend Dark Bribe in its place but, as I said, managing resources is really important here, you wouldn't want a +1 on the opponent. You'd better run some Dresses in their place.

What's more, I don't know if I'm going to build a side deck, but if I am, I'll definitely try making it a change-deck side. I'll first have to see what kind of cards may be sided against it, and I definitely don't have enough knowing about current side decks to judge on that.

Hope you have fun with Chain B- Wildheart Garden.
See Ya


Usual Trivia: I came to be shocked that Tenkabito wasn't a warrior, that's just unbelievable. This also shows in the title which says "The Shougun is not a Warrior". Supposedly, Tenkabito Shien is young Great Shogun Shien (and, of course, the Shi En). How can a Shogun not be a warrior?

No comments:

Post a Comment